Sunday, February 24, 2008

Once a parent . . .

Just sitting here thinking about the kids moving out. I have absolutely loved it. I cannot tell you how good it feels to come home from work and Kenzie and Evan waiting for me with big smiles and big kisses. Christie in the kitchen fixing dinner. Jay rides home with me. I will miss that too. I will miss Kenzie's saying just about every night those words "I don't like this. . .I don't want to eat it." Then asking what 's for dessert. Dinner time has not always been an enjoyable time of the evening. But I will miss it. Bill and Jay egging each on with aggravating and sometimes gross banter back and forth, and Christie and I acting as though we are thoroughly disgusted. Jay and Bill making me gag with some of their explicit descriptions of anything and everything disgusting. It wasn't hard since I have a very low gag tolerance. I will miss the kisses good night. I will miss poppa playing troll with the kids and hearing all the laughs and screams that this play brings. Playing super heros is one of their favorites. Poppa is very good at this and the kids just love it and him. I will miss the excursions to Costco with my daughter where we go to buy just a few things and we end up with a carload full of groceries. So many things I will miss so I could go on and on. Once parents always parents. I now know what that means. They will only be a mere half hour away but it doesn't matter. Bill and I will enjoy the quiet. But when it gets too much for me, Kenzie and Evan can come and stay. At least overnight. Maybe longer.

2 comments:

Christie said...

And we will miss you, too! Don't worry, we'll come visit often. And you can have the kids WHENEVER you want. Promise!

Guilty Secret said...

Aw I'm sure you guys will still see loads of each other... and how wonderful this bonding time must have been :)